Monday, September 1, 2014

#5 | 3 Artist/People That Inspired Me.


Peter Underhill

He is the creator of the collectable Bad Taste Bears. I came across them when I was browsing through a figurine shop and BTB immediately caught my eye. Teddy bears, something that little kids or maybe even adults love because they are just so adorable and cuddly. But Peter Underhill did not make them "adorable and cuddly". He was designing a range of cutesy bears to be printed onto little girl's pyjamas. To clear his head after becoming "all cuted out" he drew his first ever Bad Taste Bear, "Hey kiddies! Here's the chainsaw bear!" He enjoyed drawing it so much that he started putting a list together and drawing and painting bears in "interesting" situations and a distorted view of reality as a release for his twisted imagination.
I love how he has this crazy mind, as I would call it. Because of it, he came up with something that is different and one of a kind.


 


----------------------


Mark Ryden

He is an American painter, part of the Lowbrow (or Pop Surrealist) art movement. He was also dubbed "the god-father of pop surrealism" by Interview Magazine. I'm very inspired by him because firstly, he is a surrealist artist and because his artworks always have a certain sadness and mysterious vibe to them. I never like dolls because they look creepy but I especially love the eerie dolls in his artworks.




----------------------

Low Kay Hwa

The last one, is a Singaporean Novelist. I am not someone that particular love books, but his books caught my attention. The first story I read from him was "A Singapore Love Story", I remember myself finishing the book in 1 day when I was in Secondary 4. Teachers even had to confiscate the book because I couldn't stop reading it. The second book I read is "Lilith". I am looking forward to read more of his books after reading the summary of all of them in the bookstore. To me, there's always this "dark" feeling in his book. Like works of a crazy person. I love the twist he always have in his stories, the very "dark" feeling it gives and actually how true his stories are to reality.

The Perfect Story is the next book I want to read of his because I feel that he's talking about himself. This is the summary:

To create a convincing story, the writer has to detach himself from the real world.
The process of writing an outstanding story is frightening. In fact, frightening is too mild a word. Obsession would be an understatement as well. The accurate word to express the process will be severance. The writer severs all ties with reality and becomes a new person.
He talks to imaginary people. He acts out imaginary scenes. He walks in the dark to feel the fear. He cuts his hand to feel the character’s pain. He experiences the full flurry of emotions that the characters feel.
He lives a solitary life and teeters on the edge of sanity.
He grows up with the story. His only friends are the characters. His only foes are the characters. His only respite is to write the last word of the story.
Often, the writing reaches a stage where it possesses the writer’s entire being; scenes are constructed from his memories; the story becomes part of his life. He no longer writes the story; he lives in it.
All these sacrifices just to fulfil one desire. To write The Perfect Story.




No comments:

Post a Comment