Tuesday, August 12, 2014

#3 | Three Artist That Broke The Rules.

In my opinion, every artist have their own unique way of expressing themselves through art. But all of them share something in common, which is their passion for art. I don't know of much artists so I did quite a bit of research, so here are my "3 Artist That Broke The Rules".

#1. Vincent Van Gogh

Van Gogh was a self taught artist. He is known for his bold and dramatic brush strokes which he used to express himself. His bold palette is definitely the reason why even up till now, he is consider as one of the best artist. One of my favourite work of his is definitely "Starry Night". I even tried to do it when I was in Primary School. The technique that actually attracted me the most was the brush strokes because he did not do blending. 

Fun fact: My O' Level course work's artist reference was him because I was very attracted to his "Starry Night" ever since I knew about it and so I used the swirls for my background.






#2. Boerhanoedin Affandi Koesoema

Affandi was also a self taught artist just like Van Gogh. He was regarded as the Indonesian Van Gogh due to his similar techniques used, like his layering of paint, bold colours and brush strokes. He was always known for squeezing paint directly out of the tube and using his hands instead of paint brushes because he felt more freedom to express his feelings this way. I also did tried to do one of his works as my assignment and even when to his museum at Yogyakarta last year. I was very inspired by him because of how different his works are from other artists as it is more abstract. Below are a few of my favourite works by him.






#3. Pierre Bonnard

Like I said, I do not know much artists so I got to know about Pierre Bonard when I was researching for my IVA homework. He is recognised for his unique use of colour and his complex imagery. Unlike other artist, Bonnard did not paint from life. He drew his subject, sometimes photographing it and take notes on the colours. He then goes home, go through his notes and start to reflect and imagine. Like what Jed Perl said, his works are a combination of visual taste, psychological insight and poetic feeling which is why I'm in love with his paintings.






No comments:

Post a Comment